Non Structured Staff
Ing. Raffaele CARLI – Post-Doc Resarch Fellow
Ing. Nicola EPICOCO – Post-Doc Resarch Fellow
Ing. Roberta PELLEGRINO – Post-Doc Resarch Fellow
Ing. Graziana CAVONE – Phd Student
The D&C Lab has as its major objectives, the promotion of the results obtained in the field of the scientific research - achieved in collaboration with private and public partners, in a regional, national, and international context- and the advancement of technology transfer of these research results. The area of interest for the research is the scientific disciplinary sector of Automation (09/G1).
The staff of the laboratory provides research services and technology transfer in the following macro-areas:
Modelling and control systems for industrial applications and optimization
Process and manufacturing systems, coordination of agents and sensors networks, fault detection and recovery, problems regarding the logistics area, i.e., production and distribution, scheduling and planning problems, workflow management. Models for maximizing the effectiveness of technological products and processes. Methods for the reduction of alternatives, particularly in case of high quantity of choices.
Management and control of complex systems
Intelligent transportation systems, road and railroad traffic, mono and multi-modal logistic systems, dangerous freight transport; management of electrical mobility, Decision Support Systems for the planning and management of Smart Cities and smart buildings; modelling and management of healthcare systems. Modeling, simulation, and control of container terminals and transport systems.
Smartness and Decision Support Systems
Advanced algorithms and ICT applications to predict and solve upcoming situations in various applicative contexts (transport, production, health systems) with minimal or reduced human involvement.
Modelling and nonlinear control
Modelling, simulation, control and evaluation of the performances of: nonlinear systems, discrete event systems, mobile robots and handling devices, internal combustion engines.
Distributed optimization and consensus
Resource allocation in systems composed by heterogeneous robots in case of critical tasks. Distributed approaches for electrical power dispatching, with economic criteria. Bio-inspired robotics. Distributed estimation and sensors networks. Complex networks, co-operative robotics, epidemics models. Mobility on demand, path planning, resource allocation.
CO-ORDINATION AND COLLABORATION OF NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL PROJECTS
The D&C Lab promoted and is currently active in different research projects on the above described themes, in particular:
• Project RES NOVAE (Networks, Buildings, Roads: New virtuous objectives for the Environment and Energy), funded by the Ministry for Education, University and Research (MIUR) and by the Ministry of the Economic Development in the context of the National Operative Program for Research and Competitiveness 2007-2013 for the development of the Smart City;
• Project “ERMES - Enhance Risk Management through Extended Sensors” (PON01_03113), funded by the Ministry for Education, University and Research and by the Ministry of the Economic Development in the context of the National Operative Program for Research and Competitiveness 2007-2013;
• PON 2007-2013 “PLATINO - PLATform for INnOvative services in future internet”, PON01_01007/4, framework programme of Apulia Region for the Mechatronic district funded by MIUR.
• Project “UCCSM - Urban Control Center for the sustainable management of energy flows in Metropolitan Smart Cities” funded by the Apulian Region im the call “Technological Clusters” of the Operative Regional Program FESR 2007-2013
• Project “SEMINA – Evolved Systems for the Intelligent Mobility in Urban Agile Networks” funded by the Apulian Region in the call “Apulian ICT Living Lab” of the Operative Regional Program FESR 2007-2013;
• Project “MinD – Mine Detection” funded by the Apulian Region in the notice “Regional partnerships for innovation” of the Operative Regional Program FESR 2007-2013;
• Research and technological transfer project with the OM Carrelli Elevatori SpA company located in Modugno (BA), "SMMARTT-Development of an Advanced Warehouse Model for the reduction of the Throughput Time", funded by the Apulian Region in the context of the project Back to the Future – POR Puglia 2007 2013 Axis IV Human Capital;
• “Innovative Models for Mechatronic Systems”, agreement of Framework Program in the context of “Scientific Research” of the Apulian Region, Approval CIPE 20/04, Intervention cod. DM01, Industrial research projects related to the realization strategy developed by the Mechatronics Technology District. Period: 2010-2011.
• 2012-2013 research project in conjunction between Polytechnic of Bari and École Centrale of Lille (France), titleed “Management of discrete event logistics systems”, funded by the Polytechnic of Bari;
• Research project funded by the research fund (ex 60%) of Polytechnic of Bari “Decision Support Systems for the sustainable management of the logistic transport systems, mono-, multi-, inter- and co-modal”;
• “Distributed Target Tracking Algorithms, based on the consensus theory in heterogeneous and mobile sensor networks ”, Research Funds ex 60% (FRA 2012) of the Polytechnic of Bari. Period: 2012-2014;
• Research project funded by the research fund (ex 60%) of Polytechnic of Bari “Design of Distribution System in case of Uncertainty” (2011);
• “Distributed Target Tracking Algorithms, based on the consensus theory in sensor networks” Research Funds ex 60% (FRA 2012) of the Polytechnic of Bari. Period: 2012-2013.
COLLABORATIONS WITH LABORATORIES OR RESEARCH CENTRES
The D&C Lab staff collaborates with the following foreign reserch groups:
• Research group led by Professor Slim Hammadi (école Centrale of Lille, France) on modelling and control of co-modal transport systems, and control and operative management of manufacturing systems;
• Research group led by Professor Alexander Fay (Hamburg Helmut Schmidt University, Germany) in the area of factory automation;
• Research group led by Professor Marek Miskowicz (Crakow University of Science and Technology, Poland) in the area of the control of manufacturing systems;
• Research group led by Professor MengChu Zhou (New Jersey Institute of Technology of Newark, USA) on the topic of control and management of distributed production systems;
• Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering, Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA;
• LAAS-CNRS, Laboratoire d'Analyse et d'Architecture des Systèmes, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Toulouse, France ;
• Autonomous Robotics and Human-Machine Systems group, Max-Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, Tuebingen, Germany;
• Department of Mathematical Sciences, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio, USA.
The staff of the D&C Lab also cooperates with the following Italian research groups:
• Research group led by Professor Carla Seatzu (Cagliari University) in the context of management and optimization of intermodal terminals;
• Department of Electical, Electronical, and Computer Engineering, University of Catania;
• ISSIA, Institute for Intelligent Systems and Automation, CNR, Bari.
COLLABORATIONS WITH AGENCIES AND COMPANIES OF THE TERRITORY:
• IBM, word leader company in the computers industry, in the research project RES NOVAE for the realization of an urban control center for the energy management of Smart Cities;
• Enel distribution, the largest electricity operator in Italy and Europe's second listed utility for installed capacity, in the research projects RES NOVAE on the definition of energy scheduling techniques in the smart home and UCCSM for the realization of an urban control center for the energy management of Smart Cities at a regional level;
• Banque Centrale du Luxembourg, the central bank of Luxembourg,for a study on the application of muti-criteria decision methods to public procurement tenders;
• TERA S.r.l. in Conversano (Bari), an SME providing energy efficiency and ICT solutions, in the research projects RES NOVAE on the definition of energy scheduling techniques in smart homes and UCCSM for the realization of an urban control center for the energy management of Smart Cities at a regional level;
• SimNT S.r.l. in Bari, an SME providing ICT services and products, in the research project UCCSM for the realization of an urban control center for the energy management of Smart Cities at a regional level;
• Ferrovie del Sud Est e Servizi Automobilisti S.r.l., the largest public regional railway network in Italy, for a research project on offline and real-time trains scheduling;
• GTS (General Transport Service) S.p.A. in Bari, a logistic company world leader, for a research project on the management and automation of intermodal transport;
• Planetek in Bari, a company Italian leader in ICT for the use of geo-localized data, for a research project on the management and automation of urban mobility of passengers;
• Macnil Gruppo Zucchetti in Bari, an SME providing ICT solutions, for a research project on the management and automation of urban mobility of passengers;
• Nicola Veronico S.r.l.in Bari, an SME working in hazardous and special waste management, for a research project on Vehicle Routing for the Optimization of Hazardous Waste Collection;
• Dream Project S.p.A. in Barletta (BAT), an SME leader in Italy in fashion distribution, for a research project on the management and automation of the company internal logistics;
• Tangari S.r.l. in Corato (BA), an SME that is leader in Italy in the production of objects and vestments, for a research project on the management and automation of the company internal logistics;
• Divella S.p.A. in Rutigliano (BA), a world leader company in the food production, in particularly of pasta, for a research project on warehouse logistics and management;
• Cannillo S.r.l. in Corato (BA), a company active in the marketing of food, for a research project on integrated logistics to support the activities of procurement, distribution and supply of goods, within the cold chain;
• Primadonna S.p.A. di Bitonto (BA), a world leading manufacturer of fashion footwear at low cost, for a research project on the implementation of an automated warehouse;
• OM Carrelli Elevatori S.p.A. in Modugno (BA), an SME p forklift trucks, for a research project on the analysis and optimization of logistics.